Saturday, January 14, 2006

Work

Sorry about the delay, but I have been working. We did what is known as a case count last night. This is the first one that we have done in about 2 months. A case count is where all the cases of groceries are put on the floor close to where they go on the shelves and you are then timed to see how fast you are at putting cases of groceries on the shelves and then clean up. My average BEFORE clean up is around 100 to 120 cases, but with clean up it is about 80 to 90. Last night I was at 82, but I had the isle with the most cases (176 cases). I had the canned meat and veggies isle. The only complaint is that they need to put grooves on the bottom of all cans manufactured so that they will easily stack on top of each other without falling. I was the second fastest last night. The fastest guy, about to be our Grocery Manager, threw 130 cases an hour, and that includes a trip to the bathrooma nd periodic stops to check up on the rest of us. In defense of the rest of us, he had the easiest isles. He had the condoments isle ( salad dressing, ketchup, mustard, bbq sause, etc)and the juice isle (gatorade, welches, coffee, koolade) and to top it off, only 105 or so cases, the least amount of cases. The slowest time was 71 cases an hour. Theoretically, if you do less than 80 cases an hour, you will be written up. We will see what comes of this.
For my othe "place" of employment, I went to the big town of Hallsville yesterday. I replaced a power supply. Nothing big. In and out in about 30 minutes. It would not have taken me so long if I had did not have to follow procedure. They want me to check for a grounded plug, make sure that all drives are working, has sound, the printer works, and several other little details that take up time. It is not all that bad if you get three of four of these lined up in a row, but this rarely happens.
On my way back from said service call, I stopped at LETU and tried to say hello to everyone. Unfortunatly around 1:30 or so PM on a Friday, most students are in classes. This makes it hard to talk to them. On the other hand, I am sure that they would have liked the interuption if I had given it to them.
Even though I am working two jobs, I am still looking and pray on what I should be doing. I have an uneasyness that I think means that I am not were I need to be, or it could be the thought of the huge amount of dept that is hovering above me getting bigger by the day. I would personally like to go back to LETU, but the money is not there. I do know that if I do anything school related again, I will have to skipp the whole working thing. Judging by last semester's results, school and work do not go together at the University level. I did enjoy having the "extra" money around, but in the end, it was very expensive money. I am not sure where I need to go or what I need to do. Tomorrow night, I will have to ask my boss what he thinks I could do for some more money per hour. I know alot about computers, but for some reason or another, companies do not care about how much you know, they want a very expensive piece of paper saying that you know what you have already learned. I was looking at degrees at a tech school, and come to find out there is a degree or two based on the stuff that I already know. I thought it was rather funny. Well, it is time for some sleep. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home