Monday, February 13, 2006

Interesting Idea

Well, I was looking through the new cell phones on the market and what all they did. Most of them run Windows CE. There are a few of them that run Linux, but most of them are not in use in the US unfortunatly. I kept seeing VoIP advertisements all over teh place while in my search. Then this real neat idea popped into my head. What about making a small laptop or small PDA into a VoIP telephone device? I know that several of them already have web services and I know that you can get a pcmia card for your laptop, so why not? I am sure that someone has already thought about the idea, but I have not really seen my idea. I got to looking at the pricing for the PCMIA wireless device for my laptop to see if I could do it that way, and if I could find a way to add a regualar wireless card for hot spots and a wirless card for cell tower use, then I would have it made. The wireless card for the cell towers costs about 40 a month for a limited amount of mb or about 60 a month for unlimited access. If you went with unlimited access, then you would want this "phone" to have web capabilities so that you could get on the internet and do everything that you normally do with the net, but be anywhere. On the other hand, if you had the limited mb use, you would want your "phone" to have a regular wireless card so that you would not have to use all of you mb talking on the "phone". You could take it to a local wirless hotspot and use someone elses bandwidth :) Anyway, I thought I would share the idean and maybe a smart LETU student could find an easy CHEAP way to make it happen. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home