Friday, January 12, 2007

Truck

I think I finally got my truck working right. For what seems to be the longest time I have been trying to find out where a strange vibration and sound was were coming from. I found it today. I have been methodically replacing parts on my drive train of my truck. First the Pinion bearing. That was fun. I set the backlash wrong, so I took it in and got someone else to fix it right. The pinion bearing was not the problem and I also checked all the other bearings and seals while I had the rearend apart, nothing else there. Well, today my roommates and I replaced the u-joints. They were bad. It was so bad that on one of the bearings there was nothing but powdered rust left where bearings were suposed to be. I had an adventure getting parts. That alone is half the fun. First, I stopped at Pep Boys. They had the u-joints and I was stupid enough to purchase them. So, when I later took them out of the box, there were 2 completely different u-joints (both u-joints on my truck are suposed to be the same). One u-joint had a different clip system to hold it in and the other u-joint was a sealed u-joint that had been obviosly taken apart and therefore usless. So, I was able to bribe my roomates into taking me to different autopart stores to look for replacement u-joints after going back to Pep Boys to return the bad parts. We finally found a part store that had the u-joints but they were a bit more expensive than what I wanted (beggars can't be choosers especially at 8pm when everyone is closing up for the night). Putting everything back together was rather easy (might have been something to do with the lack of rusted, locked-up parts). We finally got everything back running, test driven, and cleaned up at about midnight. I think it went rather smoothly. Anyway, I have class early in the morning, so I am off to bed. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home