Monday, July 31, 2006

Work Ethics

I have an interesting question: Is it the employee's or the company's fault that employees do or do not care about their job?
See, I work with alot of people that literally do not care about their job. They call in to work saying that they are not coming, they steal stuff from the company, and they just steal time in general talking and not getting things done. Whose fault is it?

On one side you can say it is the employees. The employee was the one that wanted the job. The employee should be gratefull that they employer spent the time and money to hire them. They should be glad that the employeer pays them on a regular basis and the such.

On the flip side, most of the people that I work with think that the employeer should be grateful to have them. They beileve that because employers should have "slack" or something to allow for their frequent call ins, their lack of productivity and the such or they just have never thought or known diffrently. Basically, they have no respect for the company nor do they care about moving up or anything of the such (although I have seen several managers stealing from the company, mentionted it to them and they don't care).

See, I came from Brookshire's. You were expected to work when you clocked in and then rest when you clocked out. It was okay if you called in with good excuse. I will have to say that I agree with Brooksire's on this. They told me what their expectations of me there, and that is what I followed through with. I called in once the entre time I worked there and I knew the store better than most of the employees there. For enforcement, you were either written up, hours were cut, transfered to another department, or fired. Of course being fired was last on the list due to how much it cost the company. Generally the lost of hours (leading to the lack of a paycheck) gave employees the incentive needed to work. Walmart is another story all together. They tell you that you need to show up and that you have to throw 100 cases an hour every night and all sorts of stuff, but in the end there is no enforcement of any kind. So, most of the people at my store have never thrown more than 50 cases an hour nor have they gone more than a month without calling in. BUT, I understand why they do this. There have been too many lawsuits about "how bad of a company they are" and the such. In reality, they are just another company that is trying to make a buck, and because they are making a few bucks, people are super critical of them. Anyway, more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home