Wednesday, January 19, 2005

What would happen, what would I do?

I was set on playing with my cell phone and maybe going to Tyler to have fun with a few friends. I read an email this morning about a guy on the floor whom I knew was in trouble, but for some reason did not think much of. Why not? I realy do not know. I came up on the floor talking to the friend fro Tyler, texas (not the dorm thankgoodnes) and after hanging up after he had to go, I saw an email posted on the bulleton board. I read it. It was abot the guy on the floor that was hurt. What had happened is that on his way back from Christmas vacation a semi pushed him off the road in some form or fashion and into the ditch. I still do not know the entire story, but I did read the email all the same. the email was composed by his dad. There was much emotion in the email. The guy that was hurt could not talk, he was on a resporator, and was paralized form the neck down. They are suposed to put a halo on him the 17th or 18th after they evaluated how well he could breath on his own. I know what a halo is. I can only imagine haveing one on, but even then my imagination can not grasp how much it hurt. The Lord has provided his family with all sorts of things. He has given the family a car to use, funds, several local church families as suport, and much much more while they are several states away from home. I nor his father have any idea why this happened. After reading the email I knew I had to post something. I have too many questions. What would I do in that situation? What would my parents do? Would I be able to handle it as well as he could? Could my parents and friends be able to handle it? If something of that sort did happen, all I can do is pray that I would remember that everything that happens will happen for the glory of the Lord, even if I can not see it because more often than I would like things happen like this to friends and other believers in Christ that I do not see the end to. It is a sobering email. If you have a chance, sit down and pray for Steak, not only for his recovery, but for his family and all the people that the Lord has provided for his family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Hey, I will gladly pray for Steak (if I got the name right. But God isn't hampered by my ignorance)

I/we haven't experienced that type of circumstance in our lives. But, speaking from what we DID experience, I would say this: the person directly involved needs lots and lots of time to just absorb what has happened.

The family suffers equally, but in a different way. Neither party can fully understand the others' feelings. Not only that, but all outside parties (church, friends, etc) are incapable of empathizing with the victim and the victim's family.

So, right off the bat, both parties feel misunderstood (for lack of better word) by at least two other sets of people. (Probably not making any sense, here)

ANYWAY, it is always shocking when something tragic happens to a young person. And though it causes you to hypothetically think of what YOU would do in a simialr situation, there is no way you can prepare.

You (and your family) would simply try to survive, one day, one moment at a time. You would set you goals on "what is the next thing I should do?" And, you would have to swallow your pride and accept lots of love and tangible means of help from those around you. Sounds like that is happening in Steak's case. People want so much to help, and since they can't make Steak "all better," they do whatever they can.

Sometimes, though, especially Christians, feeling led to demonstrate a spiritual overtone, or something, actually do a little harm in their attempts to do good. A verse making sense of the whole situation is not necessarily the best thing to share. The heat of the moment of distress is not always the optimal time to preach a sermon, though Christians often feel it is expected of them.

So, to bring this rambling monologue to a close, soliciting prayers, compassion and practical helps are good things, all.

I hurt for this fellow and his family, and will pray for all.

January 20, 2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger mechcanoer said...

thanks

January 24, 2005 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home